I’ve been thinking about how many times I’ve crashed or almost got in a crash.
Now I’ll share these “near death” experiences with you guys and gals.
The first time I almost got into a crash was on ye olde LEM LX-3 Sport kids MX bike.
I was trying to reach top speed on a wide open field, which I eventually did, but in the process of trying to reach the top speed on the bike, there was a hard cardboard tube in the middle of where I was riding.
I rode over it with my shot suspension, and got into a small tankslapper at about 65km/h.
I’ve read about tankslappers that it’s extremely hard to get out of a tankslapper at speeds, but luckely I didn’t lock up any wheels because of drum brakes.
The orange moped
I got the most near misses and crashes on my orange moped, the XMotos XB-33 50W, mostly because I rode in the big city.
- Got in a tankslapper at about 50km/h on a bike lane with wet leaves. It’s a miracle that I didn’t slip.
- Almost crashed by braking on a tramway at a crosswalk.
- Crashed by slipping off a tramway on a rainy day, no serious damage.
- Crashed by slipping on a muddy path, no serious damage.
- Rode into a ditch while offroading and slipping, because I was using street tires, also no serious damage.
Damage on the XF650
When I got my bike, the Suzuki Freewind XF650, I had some mishaps.
- Lowsided when leaning too much on a roundabout, because the sidestand hits the ground before the footpegs do. Damage: broken off bar weight, bent gear lever, shaved off side stand.
- Almost hit a car that pulled out of a parking space without looking in his mirrors, I was hitting my rear brake so hard it was skidding.
- Crashed into a guy that didn’t see me (or saw me, but said “F*ck it”). His bumper and wiper fluid reservoir were unrepairable, my bike had nothing but a bent gear lever.
- Almost crashed into a car that made an illegal U-turn (link to vid)
- Moron behind the wheel of a pick up truck that overtakes a vehicle and oversees me. (link to vid)
Work isn’t safe either
And at work, I ride a delivery scooter, which gives the ability to get hit by every other road user, here are some near misses and crashes.
- Almost got hit by a car that thought I was far enough.
- Slipped on some gravel by pulling the wrong brake handle.
- Almost got hit by a truck that didn’t see me.
- Cut off by an antisocial idiot.
- Slipped and broke my wrist because of bad weather.
Well, I had my share of near misses and crashes, but I hope it stays with this list or near misses.
Anyways, have a good day.